[GE users] sge_qmaster heavy memory usage

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Tue Sep 28 09:51:14 BST 2004

Hi,

> On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 16:36, Don Shesnicky wrote:
>> Good to hear that, 160 meg isn't that bad. What do I lose
>> by turning off schedd_job_info?
>
> If you do 'qstat -j <jobid>' on a job that's not being scheduled for
> some reason, it'll list a reason for each queue as to why it couldn't
> use it.  That information on why a job couldn't be scheduled is what you
> loose by turning off schedd_job_info.

The bug in 6.0 about the scheduler memory usage when schedd_job_info is not
turned off can cause virtually *unlimited memory requirements. With a few
thousands jobs in the system it can easily eat all your memory, even if you
have a lot of it in your box. And it is very likely that this problem occurs
within a short run time of qmaster.

So, if you are running 6.0 and not yet 6.0u1 please set  schedd_job_info to
false.

Andy