[GE users] LD_LIBRARY_PATH network issues

John Saalwaechter bababooey182 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 17:01:16 BST 2004

--- Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:

> Won't this be cached by the kernel on the node?

Actually I've seen that both Linux 2.4 and Solaris do not do
any caching of dynamic library information.  They perform
numerous stat() and open() calls during the dynamic
linking stage of every command, which becomes a little
burst of NFS traffic if LD_LIBRARY_PATH contains an
NFS-mounted path.

Interestingly, I just did some network snooping on a
Fedora Core 2 Linux system (kernel 2.6), and it shows that
it is using a 60-second negative cache, probably at the
NFS level. Using strace I see that commands are still
trying to open dynamic libraries along all the paths in
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but the NFS packets only go out once every
60 seconds. During the 60-second interval, the open() calls
simply return ENOENT without actually hitting the NFS
server over the network. That's a great step towards
solving this issue, but I agree with the other replies that
solutions should be found that eliminate the need for
LD_LIBRARY_PATH altogether.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail