[GE users] Building SGE 6.0 on a Warewulf cluster

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Wed Sep 29 23:51:41 BST 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 23:43, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    I'm going to build SGE 6.0 on a Warewulf (warewulf-cluster.org)
> cluster. Warewulf uses PXE or Etherboot to boot the nodes and
> send an image which is installed on a Ram drive on the nodes. The
> ram drive is pretty small (about 40 Megs at max), so I'd like to
> keep it that way. I'm still working through the SGE build instructions,
> but does anyone want to offer some friendly advice for building
> SGE?
>    Oh, I forgot to mention that I can build SGE for Warewulf in a couple
> of ways. I can build the complete setup and install it on the head node
> and then build the compute node image from the head node but I need
> to know exactly what I need to include on the compute nodes. The
> second way is to build SGE on the head node and then build it and
> include it in the image for the compute nodes. I'd like to stick to the
> first method if possible. I'll just need to figure out what the minimum
> components are for the compute nodes and include those in the image.

All you need to have on the nodes is the /etc/init.d/sgeexecd script
All the binaries etc. etc. etc. live under $SGE_ROOT.
Once you have done an inst_sge on the master you will find the sgeexecd
script in $SGE_ROOT/default/common

Put the sgeexecd in your slave image, and fix up the runlevels
(there is a buglet in the Redhat chkconfig which doesn't recognise
the LSB init script headers, so be aware of an link in rc.X which looks
like S-1...)
Edit /etc/services also to get the port set

$SGE_ROOT is then NFS-mounted from teh master node.
Say /usr/local/sge  (your choice!)

I'm moving to using local spooling on slave nodes,
but for your diskless nodes just go with spooling to the $SGE_ROOT

Oh, and following on from an earlier thread make sure the sgeadmin user
is in the password file/NIS map/LDAP... on the slave nodes.

And you probably don't need to rebuild (unless you want to!)
Won't the courtesy binaries work for you?