[GE users] qsub with screen for reattaching

Don Shesnicky dshesnicky at enqsemi.com
Thu Sep 30 19:17:24 BST 2004

We have an application called hsim that can run in batch mode to
completion but there's also
the notion of sending the program some signals (not OS signals) to
change states or write a
checkpoint file. The users would like to be able to submit the job and
then at some point go
onto the system that is running the program and attach a terminal to it.

Sounds like a job for "screen" ie. qsub -q queue testscreen" where
testscreen is a script that
starts the job with screen in detached mode:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/screen -d -m /home/user/test/screenloop

When I run the script in a terminal I can reattach to it via screen -r
but when I run it through
GE it fails... although it worked once when I removed a -o directory
option but try as I might
I cannot get it to work again just dies immediately after being accepted
to run.

Anyone had any experience here or have any ideas?

Don