[GE users] combined/composite complexes

Olesen, Mark Mark.Olesen at arvinmeritor.com
Tue Apr 5 09:47:22 BST 2005

Hi Reuti,

The problem is unfortunately that the "combined" licenses are actually used
for parallel jobs. I normally don't to make all/any of the "B" licenses
available for parallel jobs, since this prevents interactive use. Only under
certain circumstances should the user request the "C" combination and block
some of the GUIs.

We have 8 "A" licences and 4 "B" licenses.
Assuming that the first parallel job starts with "-pe mpi 6 -l A=1", then I
have 2 "A" licenses remaining and 4 "B" licenses. A second 6-cpu parallel
job would really need "-pe mpi 6 -l A=0.3333,B=0.6667" in order to start.

I tried introducing the complex "C" and adjusted the availability of A, B &
C via an external load sensor that adjusts the complex_values for the global
host. This, however, has two major problems:
  1) it relies on the license server and thus has the problems due to lag.
  2) oversubscription!  On an empty cluster, I have 8 "A" consumables
     and 12 "C" consumables. Mixed job requests (some with "-l A=1"
     and some with "-l C=1") are destined to failure.

Perhaps there is some way of abusing a transfer queue to juggle the license
requests?

/mark

Dr. Mark Olesen
Principal Engineer Thermofluids Analysis
ArvinMeritor Light Vehicle Systems
ArvinMeritor Emissions Technologies GmbH
Biberbachstr. 9
D-86154 Augsburg, GERMANY
tel: +49 (821) 4103 - 862
fax: +49 (821) 4103 - 7862