[GE users] Changing number of slots or nice with calendar

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Apr 6 14:10:24 BST 2005

Tim,

maybe it's easier than it first appears to be: the nice values are only
relative to each other. So having only one job with a nice of 0 or a
nice of 19 will not change anything in the execution speed (disregarded
any system tasks). So having two jobs with nice 0 will share the CPU 50%
each - what is identical having both with a nice of 19.

So, just two queues would be enough (each nice 19) and one with
calendar. Depending on the run time of your jobs, you may want to
suspend the second queue or to disable it only to drain them. Depends
how long they will continue to run. But as your users are working at a
nice of 0 anyway (and shouldn't feel much of the nice 19 jobs), it maybe
more a matter of available memory.

Be only sure, that "qconf -sconf" has a line:

reprioritize                 false

and "qconf -ssconf":

reprioritize_interval             0:0:0

to avoid that SGE will change the nice during the runtime of the jobs.

Just a simple reply to the list is okay. Maybe in the flow of a
discussion someone else might step in with new ideas, which wouldn't be
possible within a private conversation.

Cheers - Reuti