[GE users] scheduling weirdness in 6.0u3

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Wed Apr 6 15:03:27 BST 2005

I'm running SGE 6.0u3 on my cluster and lately have been noticing that
SGE doesn't always pick the best node to run a job on.  All of my nodes
are dual CPU.  And sometimes when I submit a job, SGE will put it on a
node that already has a load average of 1.0, even though there are other
nodes in the cluster with a load of 0.0.  I've double-checked qstat -j
on the job and the nodes with a load average of 0.0 don't show up as
being disqualified for any reason.  It seems that SGE just isn't sorting
the list of available queues.  Has anyone else seen anything like this?

My queue_sort_method is set to 'load', and load_formula is set to
'np_load_avg'

If anyone has any thoughts on how I might fix this, I'd appreciate
hearing them.

Thanks,

Sean