[GE users] 'serial' gaussian03

Tom Kuppens tom at hartree4.UGent.be
Wed Apr 6 16:33:09 BST 2005

Hi there,

I use guassian03 on a self-assembled beowulfy-like cluster. It's a
heterogeneous environment with different processors.

I do not use the parallel linda approach because of the heterogeneous
'flavor' of my cluster. I distribute my jobs to the different CPU's, so
that 1 CPU has 1 job at hand. To distribute my g03 jobs I created a tool
that allows me to automate it (rather then do it by hand, like I used to
do ...) based on proc/loadavg, availability etc.

Now I was wondering if it is also possible with SGE to do this in an easy
way, or does it only manage to parallelize calculations with linda.
The number of Gaussian jobs I am discussing is around 200 ? 300 per
problem, so it is important that each job should not be submitted by hand.

As I am a SGE dummy; is it hard to install (for a simple chemist) and is
there a lot of work needed on the slave nodes (like services, daemons,
dependencies ...), where to start in the pile of documentation ...

I'm happy with my 'way of doing it' but I try to keep my horizon open if
other methods can be applied and how they work, and perhaps apply them
eventually ;-)

Thank you for your time,
Tom Kuppens

Quantum Group Ghent
Department of Inorganic and Physical Chemistry WE06V
Ghent University
Krijgslaan 281 - S3, 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Tel  +32(0)9 264 4444
Fax  +32(0)9 264 4983
--
http://allserv.UGent.be/~tkuppens