[GE users] Newbie questions

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Apr 7 15:40:53 BST 2005

Quoting Schmitz Dale M Contr 20 IS/INPTG <Dale.Schmitz at offutt.af.mil>:

> Thanks, but I think I've worked through the basic stuff.  I'm able to
> launch our application (which is interactive) but it's still bound to
> one machine.  Parts of this job kick off as many child processes as I
> have processors on the system.  Right now, even thought it was kicked

what type of parallelism is built into your application using? Forks or threads
directly? OpenMP, MPI, PVM,...?

> off via qlogin, it's still only using processors on the one system.  I
> was hoping that having the engine software installed would enable it to
> utilize all the processors on the network, which it probably can, once I
> figure out how to make that so.

SGE is supporting the parallel execution of applications inside the queuing
system of course, but only if it's already programmed this way in the
application. It will not give the application the illusion of having one big
SMP machine with shared memory across all nodes.

Cheers - Reuti