[GE users] Newbie questions

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Thu Apr 7 16:29:58 BST 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 10:21 -0500, Schmitz Dale M Contr 20 IS/INPTG
wrote:

> As for your other questions, I have a network of 7 systems, one with 8
> CPUs and 6 with two CPUs.  We launch the big application on the 8-CPU
> system to keep the execution time around 2 hours (wall-clock time).  I
> was hoping that the grid engine software would allow me to use all 20
> CPUs, but I've yet to learn just how to do that.  I've contacted the
> software vendor about it and they tell me that the job is a good
> candidate for this environment, but since I'm not a programmer myself,
> nor am I anywhere near a programming environment,
That's the best thing to do.
You need to aks the vendor about the parallel libraries, or parallel
environment which the application uses.

Reminding ourselves that you are posting from an Air Force base,
can you find the application executable and do
'ldd applicationfile'  on it?
This will list the shared libraries which it uses.