[GE users] Help configuring grid to use ssh instead of rsh

Gary Thomas gthomas at ForteDS.com
Fri Apr 8 00:31:56 BST 2005

The jobs generate heavy network traffic because they are typically
compiling sources off of a network file server.  Each machine has 1
network card.

Ssh is setup for passwordless login and SGE 5.3p4 is configured as
described for ssh.

We want to increase the number of nodes to 100+ in the near future and
I'm concerned that we might run into more serious problems.

GT

-----Original Message-----
From: Reuti [mailto:reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de]
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2005 3:34 PM
To: users at gridengine.sunsource.net
Subject: Re: [GE users] Help configuring grid to use ssh instead of rsh

Hi,

Quoting Gary Thomas <gthomas at ForteDS.com>:

> Hi, We have a grid setup with 30+ machines, and we've been having a
lot
> of problems
>
> Lately with "poll" failures and "unable to read return code" failures.
> I'm trying to switch

with such an amount of nodes there shouldn't be any problem like this.
Are your
jobs generating heavy network traffic? One or two network cards in each
machine?

> Over to using ssh to see if it has fewer problems, but I cant seem to
> get it to work consistently.

You setup a passwordless login for ssh and configured SGE according to
the
Howto at sunsource.net? Which platform and SGE version? Classic-spooling
NFS/local) or BDB?

Cheers - Reuti