[GE users] scheduling weirdness in 6.0u3

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Fri Apr 8 12:12:23 BST 2005

Stephan Grell - Sun Germany - SSG - Software Engineer wrote:
> Well, I do not know, why scheduler interval should change anything. You
> configured
> on demand scheduling anyway and the scheduler is only triggered, when it
> is idle.
>
> How long are your jobs running. Maybe you have a problem with the
> internal load
> adjustments.From you configuration I read:
>
> job_load_adjustments              np_load_avg=1.0,mem_free=900M
> load_adjustment_decay_time        0:7:30
>
> Are your jobs running longer than 7:30 Min? You have a load interval
> of 0:40 Min. Though, if you need the job_load_adjustments, maybe it
> will help to set it to a smaller value. Such as: 0:2:0 or so.

On average, the jobs on my cluster run between a couple hours and a
couple weeks.

> You configured you scheduler not only to use the reported load values,
> but the internal predicted ones as well.

Right.  I like giving processes a chance to ramp up to full load before
SGE starts scheduling other jobs on the same machines.  I don't
necessarily need it, but it was on by default and seems like a decent
thing to have on.