[GE users] Scripting help

Schmitz Dale M Contr 20 IS/INPTG Dale.Schmitz at offutt.af.mil
Mon Apr 11 15:17:36 BST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Reuti [mailto:reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de]
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 9:08 AM
To: users at gridengine.sunsource.net
Subject: Re: [GE users] Scripting help

Schmitz Dale M Contr 20 IS/INPTG wrote:

> I've done that...and I still get the "Unknown option" error.

> Originally, the whole thing went like this:  an application called a

> script, vqcib, which contained the line:

> <path>/vqcib.exe $*

> ...and away the job went.  Now with the grid engine, I can't merely

> insert a qsub into that script because I can't qsub an executable.  So

> rewrote vqcib to read:

What is an:

echo $*

telling you in the script before the .exe call?

It's giving me all the parameters that need to be submitted with the
vqcib.exe job.

> <path>/qsub <path>vqcib.csh $*

I don't know the details, but did you gave additional parameters in the

original call to the .exe? And you just add them like:

<path>/qsub <path>vqcib.csh option1 option2

and they should go the script. And for this qsub you get the error?

Which SGE? Or is the error coming from the application? - Reuti

The original call to the .exe used '$*', as in 'vqcib.exe $*' passing
all parameters to vqcib.exe.  qsub doesn't like that for some reason.

> ...and now vqcib.csh contains the line:

> <path>/vqcib.exe $*

> ...but evidently something's getting lost in translation somewhere

> because either the grid engine or the executable is returning an

> "Unknown option" error, possibly meaning that vqcib.exe is not
receiving

> the full list of parameters or they've been corrupted somehow.  First

> things first though: do I understand the qsub man page and grid engine

> documentation enough to assume that my implementation should work, or
am

> I missing something?  Are there better ways to pass along parameters
in

> the grid engine?

> Thanks,

> Dale