[GE users] Does nice always work when determining which waiti ng job to assign to a node first?

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Tue Apr 12 19:35:51 BST 2005

Hi Jim,

I'm still not sure about your intended setup. You have two cluster queues - one
with nice=0, the other with nice=19 and any load_thresholds and subordination?

One user will submit qsub -q nice0que, the other qsub -q nice19que?

Quoting "Marconnet, James E Mr /Computer Sciences Corporation"
<james.marconnet at smdc.army.mil>:

> Bummer, we thought the nice value would affect the order in which waiting
> jobs were assigned to the nodes. Apparently not so.
>
> I searched the Admin Manual on seq_no, and I did not see where that could
> be
> used unless we wanted to give up sorting by load level to balance out the
> load on the nodes instead of filling up the first node completely, then the
> next one fully, etc. And it's not at all clear how this would be used
> anyway. Anyone able to clarify it?
>
> Reading from the Admin manual:
> Without any administrator influence, the order is first-in-first-out
> (FIFO).
>
> The administrator has the following means to control the job order:
> ^A Ticket-based job priority. ....
> ^A Urgency-based job priority. ....
> ^A POSIX priority.....
>
> Is there an easy way to tie one of these methods to the que which was
> specified? I don't want the user to have to specify additional options
> (that
> I have to explain and to police) other than the que if it can be helped.
>
> And we'd prefer not to suspend jobs, but to let the running jobs complete
> before starting new jobs. Suspending jobs would wreck havoc on our
> completion predictions.

But you mentioned subordinated queues - they will be suspended then.

CU - Reuti