[GE users] h_vmem? virtual_free? mem_free?

Sebastian Stark stark at tuebingen.mpg.de
Wed Apr 13 17:09:44 BST 2005

Thank you for answering.

On Wednesday 13 April 2005 17:44, Andreas Haas wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> I recommend use of h_vmem as per host consumable. Reason is
> in contrast to mem_free the h_vmem is a regular resource limit
> that is enforced on a per job basis!

Sorry, I do not understand what that means. I do not want to limit the maximum
amount of memory a job may use, I just want to make sure it does not run on a
machine where another job is already running that has requested a lot of
memory (but is not yet using it).

> As capacity for h_vmem you can use mem_total or virtual_total
> depending on your needs. Though there is no means to automatically
> use mem_total/virtual_total memory value as per host h_vmem
> capacity, but you can use scripting interface to configure this.

Do you mean (assuming my hosts have 8GB of real mem each) I should do:

  qconf -mattr exechost complex_values mem_total=7.7G [listofnodes]

? What would be the difference if I'd use virtual_total instead?

Sebastian

--
Sebastian Stark -- http://www.kyb.tuebingen.mpg.de/~stark
Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics