[GE users] Mac OS X inst_sge -x does not install init script

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 03:17:37 BST 2005

Derek wrote the MacOSX StartItem plist a while ago:
http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgId=15081

Please try it and see if you are getting the "can't
redirect file descriptor #0" error in the execd log
file in /tmp.

-> this indicates sge_occupy_first_three() failed.

I reduced sge_occupy_first_three() (attached), and on
my 10.3.8 G5 Xserve, it fails if you start it from
StartItem, but runs OK if you run it interactively.

I then ran it under ktrace (all from StartItem), and
kdump gives me:

a.out    CALL  fstat(0,0xbffffe10)
a.out    RET   fstat -1 errno 9 Bad file descriptor

If you (and Chris) can reproduce the execd starting
problem (just use the pre-compiled SGE binaries will
do), then we should report this to Apple. I hope my
reduced testcase can help them narrow down the problem
quickly.

 -Ron

Just for reference:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPSystemStartup/Tasks/CreatingStartupItems.html