[GE users] h_vmem? virtual_free? mem_free?

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Apr 14 10:10:26 BST 2005

Hi,

it depends what you want to achieve with a memory request. So I can tell
you, what we are doing:

- make the complex virtual_free consumable, requestable, default 300M for us

- give each host an amount a little bit less than the physical installed
memory, e.g. 900M for a 1GB node.

So, the users can request their assumed amount of memory they need,
without being killed if they need a little bit more. We prefer this
setup, as you have to give to some applications the amount of memory for
the user data - but the program in total will need a little bit more. I
found it a cumbersome solution to state in the inputfile 400MB and to
submit with a request limit of 450M. They should request the same amount.

As long as the users are fair, they will only use some swap space really
rarely with this setup. And if the submit the job with a virtual_free=0
to get a node (although there is no memory left), they will hurt each
other by swapping and learn not to do it.

Cheers - Reuti