[GE users] installation questions

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 14:08:37 BST 2005

--- Jason Bradley Nance <jbnance at uab.edu> wrote:
>      First, what is the recommended stable version?
> I'm running a 2.6 kernel on this cluster and didn't
> see any pre-compiled binaries for it,
> so I grabbed the source from CVS.

Binaries for 2.4 will work on 2.6 kernels.

CVS version would also work, just make sure you are
picking cvs "head". Older versions require you to
create a symlink from 2.4 to 2.6.

(Reuti and I fixed this, so as long as you get "head",
no worry!)

>      Is Postgres required or is it an alternative to
> BDB?  Can MySQL be used?

Currently, SQL spooling is not there yet. You can use
"classic" spooling for small to medium size clusters.
For larger ones with several million jobs per month,
you will see the benefits of Berkeley DB spooling.

>      I was trying to find some installation docs on
> the website, and it
> seems that most of the docs are still centered
> around 5.3.  Also, all of
> the links on the documentation page under the "User
> and Administrator
> Manuals" section are broken.

Just follow the link Chris provides to docs.sun.com,
there you will find the latest pdf manuals.

 -Ron

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250