[GE users] h_vmem as consumable and stack size

Sebastian Stark stark at tuebingen.mpg.de
Mon Apr 18 12:30:59 BST 2005

When I define h_vmem as a consumable and request, say, 1G via "-l h_vmem=1G"
the gridengine (N1GE 6.0u3) does this:

stark at node132:~$ ulimit -a
core file size        (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) unlimited
max memory size       (kbytes, -m) 1048576
open files                    (-n) 1024
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
stack size            (kbytes, -s) 1048576
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 262144
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) 1048576

The stack size is set to 1G as well. For me this does not make much sense and
it causes at least one application we use to crash (matlab). To be more
exact, it receives a SIGSEGV, which is normal behaviour under linux when a
process reaches its stack limit. It does not do this if only the "max memory
size" and "virtual memory" are limited to 1G.

Even though this might be a bug in matlab I am wondering why it would be
useful to have such a large stack size.

Does anyone else have problems with this?

-Sebastian

--
Sebastian Stark -- http://www.kyb.tuebingen.mpg.de/~stark
Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics