[GE users] Question about job overflow between a short and a long queue under SGE6.0

Didier Contis didier at ece.gatech.edu
Thu Apr 21 22:56:26 BST 2005

I was hoping someone could help me with the following scenario:

We have two queues currently configured

long.q with 12 machines and two slots per machine

short.q with 6 machines and two slots per machine

for a total of 18 machines.

I am trying to figure out the best way to implement
the following scenario:

if the 12 slots of short.q are full and long.q is not then
some of the jobs queued under short.q will be executed under the
queue long.q.

Is such a thing possible ?

Or should I define the 12 machines of long.q also under short.q
with 2 slots each ? How would I define priority and exclusivity then ?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Best regards - Didier.