[GE users] FW: SGE Does Something Bad to rsh

Lengyel, Florian FLengyel at gc.cuny.edu
Sun Apr 24 06:39:08 BST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Reuti
To: users at gridengine.sunsource.net
Sent: 4/22/2005 5:28 PM
Subject: Re: [GE users] FW: SGE Does Something Bad to rsh

> 1) I recompiled the mpich library using the pgi compiler so that it
uses
> rsh
> instead of ssh.

What exactly is compiled into the mpich? just "rsh" or "/usr/bin/rsh"?

I think just rsh (I didn't compile this).

> 3) Now try the same program using the sge batch engine.  Here is the
> batch
> script:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #
> #$ -pe mpich 2
> #$ -cwd
> #$ -N pingpongf90
> #$ -j y
> #$ -S /bin/bash
> #
>

> /home/m254/rossi/mpich/bin/mpirun -np $NSLOTS -machinefile
> $TMPDIR/machines
> ./pingpongf90.x >pingpongf90.out
>
> IT FAILS.
>
> Here is what is in the error file:
>
> /usr/bin/rsh: invalid option -- p
> usage: rsh [-nd] [-l login] host [command]
> /home/m254/rossi/mpich/bin/mpirun: line 1: 18306 Broken pipe
> /home/m254/rossi/parallel_examples/./pingpongf90.x -p4pg
> /home/m254/rossi/parallel_examples/PI18222 -p4wd
> /home/m254/rossi/parallel_examples

You set up all for a Tight Integration?

Yes. Essentially, the mpi parallel execution environment in $SGE_ROOT/mpi
was renamed to "mpich."

As you set up the things for ssh, you have this in your global config:

rsh_daemon: /usr/sbin/sshd -i
rlogin_daemon: /usr/sbin/sshd -i
rsh_command     /usr/bin/ssh
rlogin_command  /usr/bin/ssh

Well, let's just say that it somehow became this, to my utter chagrin.

To go back to rsh, set:

rlogin_daemon             /usr/sbin/in.rlogind

Thank you for reminding me: this is precisely what I wanted to know. What
I don't know is how the configuration changed.

and remove the other three lines. Then the SGE rsh-client should be used
again.

Cheers - Reuti

Thanks a lot for this.

FL