[GE users] high CPU load for sge_qmaster

Kees Verstoep versto at cs.vu.nl
Mon Apr 25 15:55:53 BST 2005

Hi,

I am currenly working with an SGE-6.0u3 setup for a cluster with
40 compute nodes.  It is running fine, but what I often see a while
after the sge_qmaster has started, it will come into a mode where
it constantly takes about 45% CPU time.  This is even the case
when there are no jobs at all in the queue.  Looking with strace
reveals that sge_qmaster is constantly doing gettimeofday() calls.
Other than the high CPU overhead on the head node due to this,
it is running quite fine.  After restarting the sge_qmaster again,
I see the same pattern: it has low load for a while (even when
it has to start jobs), but then goes into this "polling" mode again.

Anyone seen this behaviour as well?  This is on a dual PIII-1GHz
system running RedHat Enterprise Linux version 3.4.

Thanks!
Kees Verstoep