[GE users] MacOSX startup problem (fixed)

Rayson Ho raysonho at eseenet.com
Tue Apr 26 19:06:27 BST 2005

Background: schedd and execd used to die when started from StartupItems,
but if you wait till the machine is up and running, starting them up (by
hand or with at/cron) then works.

Ron mailed me the reduced code in sge_daemonize(), and Tim suggested to
reopen the first 3 fds in the startup scripts:

http://bioinformatics.org/pipermail/bioclusters/2005-April/002509.html
http://bioinformatics.org/pipermail/bioclusters/2005-April/002513.html

I used the following startup script, SGE is now up and running:

/Library/StartupItems/SGE/SGE
#!/bin/sh

. /etc/rc.common

StartService()
{
     ConsoleMessage "Starting SUN Grid Engine"
     <PATH on your machine>/sgemaster > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null
     <PATH on your machine>/sgeexecd  > /dev/null 2>&1 < /dev/null
}

StopService()
{
     ConsoleMessage "Stopping SUN Grid Engine services"
     # similar to the above
}

RestartService()
{
     ConsoleMessage "Restarting SUN Grid Engine services"
     # similar to the above
}

RunService "$1"

/Library/StartupItems/SGE/StartupParameters.plist
{
   Description = "SUN Grid Engine Queueing System";
   Provides = ("SGE");
   Requires = ("Disks", "NFS", "Resolver");
   Uses = ("NetworkExtensions");
   OrderPreference = "Late";
   Messages =
   {
     start = "Starting SUN Grid Engine";
     stop = "Stopping SUN Grid Engine";
     restart = "Restarting SUN Grid Engine";
   };
}

Please check if it works with NFS (I don't have NFS on my Mac machines),
and may be we can integrate those scripts into SGE6.0u5??

Rayson