[GE users] looking for feedback: new web interface to qstat based on XML to HTML transform

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Tue Apr 26 19:16:22 BST 2005

Based on feedback and suggestions I've already recieved (thanks!) it is
clear that I need to start the process of documenting it and packaging
it up.

The tentative plan was to wait until SGE 6.0u4 comes out in which the
bug that causes "qstat -xml -f" to segfault when jobs are in error state
"E" has been fixed. This would also give me time to set up a proper SVN
code repository and mini mailing list.

If people want to get hands on with the code right away I can make my
(sloppy & embarassing) perl cgi source available as well. All you would
then need to do on the webserver is find or install an XSLT engine that
does the transformation.

Longer term I don't think the existing .cgi files are worth keeping
around other than for development simplicity and portability. There are
better application frameworks for web apps that make heavy use of XML
and XSLT already out there (see http://xml.apache.org etc.)

To keep this mailing list on-topic, please email me directly if you want
the perl source for the xml-qstat cgi's. I'll create a small mailing
list for discussion/help (*) and will do a quick pass through to correct
any horrible documentation issues. I'd especially enjoy help from people
who can make the CGI's more secure against hostile http-post input as
well as webdesign-savvy folks who may be able to clear up the CSS
display issue on IE browsers.

-Chris

(*) Just created the mailing list. Info is at this URL: