[GE users] Scalibility of 60u3/u4

Chris Croswhite csc at cadence.com
Wed Apr 27 23:35:23 BST 2005

Folks,

Need some help understanding if SGE 60u3/u4 can meet my needs.  I have
used SGE on a small scale, roughly 100 queue instances with no more than
500 jobs ever queued/running.  My question is can SGE support a couple
hundred queue instances (400-500) with 150,000 -300,000 jobs
queued/running?  The environment will be pumping through thousands of
very fast execution jobs (5secs to 60 secs runs), yet literally, there
will hundreds of thousands of them.

Too, since SGE uses RSH to dispatch jobs on remote hosts, is there an
issue with having only a single master pushing all these jobs e.g. will
the single host run out of ports if there are 400-500 queue instances?

Does anyone have experience with this or can give me some suggestions.

Thanks.