[GE users] Scalibility of 60u3/u4

Thu Apr 28 09:14:48 BST 2005

Chris Croswhite wrote:

>I will have a look at the parameters for tuning the scheduler.  Curious
>what you mean by "ok utilization"?

Hm.. what ever you define it to be. Once you know what the minimum
percentage is you can
figure out the max number of jobs in the system and how long the jobs
have to run. I thought
your jobs would run around 60 seconds. 5 to 10 seconds is a bit short.
In any case, for short
running jobs I wouls suggest to combine them in a script and submit them
as one or  to use
array jobs for them.

>As for tuning the scheduler, you recommend the scheduler run at half the
>time of the shortest running job, that would mean every 2.5-5secs, is
>that realistic (with shortest job run being 5 seconds, 300-500 hosts and
>150k-300k pending jobs) or will the system be a sunk just running the
>scheduler?  Perhaps the hope of using a dual V20z w/8G is not
>addequeate?!?!?

The machine should be good enough. I would need to look up the numbers
to know how much
memory one needs for 300k jobs. I do not know them right of my head.

>Thanks immensely.  This type of information is greatly appreciated!!!

You are welcome.

Stephan