[GE users] Preemption vs dedicating nodes by group?

Justus Loerke loerke at molgen.mpg.de
Thu Apr 28 17:43:38 BST 2005

Hm, I think I may be looking at some similar setup to balance load
between two user groups... I just configured primary/secondary queues
like this: primary queues open only to specified user lists via user
access in the queue configuration (giving some kind of dedicated
queues), secondary queues open to all users, but I added checkpointing
to kill & restart jobs on secondary queues instead of suspending or
disabling them. Jobs are submitted without specification of the queue, I
let GE worry about sending the jobs to the right nodes. (Note: I have
one primary and secondary queue for every single machine, is it possible
to configure multi-host queues with 5.3p6? ) Sec. queues are configured
subordinated to primary, so once the primary queue is empty, jobs will
be started on secondary queues, but will be terminated immediately (and
eventually restarted) once a job in the dedicated primary queue is started.
The setup is something like this:
-configure primary and secondary queues, secondary subordinated.
-add userdefined checkpointing scheme, add the restart on suspend option
and add all secondary queues for this checkpointing scheme
-add "-ckpt scheme" to the qsub command
This way I don't even need a load sensor to check queue contents (what I
looked at first), like Reuti suggested previously. In effect, this kills
secondary jobs once a primary one comes along to take the dedicated
queue. This may be troublesome if you're worried about file corruption
by killed jobs (like I am, since so far we haven't really been using
checkpointing on any level at all), but maybe this can be solved on the
scripting level (but I haven't looked into that yet).
I hope I'm making some sense, been a long day ;)

Cheers,
Justus

Dipl. Phys. Justus Loerke
- UltraStrukturNetzwerk -
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics
Ihnestr. 63-73
D-14195 Berlin

Tel.:   +49-30-8413-1644
Fax:    +49-30-8413-1385