[GE users] Cells, Queues , Complexes and access

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Apr 29 13:33:49 BST 2005

Quoting Yogesh Bhanu <yogesh at gsf.de>:

> Hi ,
>       Before I proceed with my question .I will try and explain what I 'm
> trying
> to acheive . We have a small linux Opteron cluster. Right now all are running
> in
> one
> cluster queue setup  .
> 'cause of a specific inhouse requirments. we want to split the cluster so
> that
> one group can use a part of cluster and when this group is not using the
> resources then it is open to all.
>
> Secondly we have lot of linux x86 boxes(user ws) which we want to integrate
> into
> this setup .
> I plan to to set up local spool to reduce nfs thrashing .
>
> question time .
> We are using sge  6u3 .
>

> Should I setup multiple queues for splitting the cluster ?

Depends - there is just a similar discussion on the list:

http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?list=users&msgNo=10855

Your problem is similar: what to do with already running job from the "public
access" if the group who owns these machines need them? Kill all running jobs
on them? Requeue the jobs (maybe with checkpointing)? Just wait, until they are
done?

> Should I setup different cells for integrating user ws ?

I wouldn't recommend it.

> If yes how do I do it ?
> Can I use one sge master 'cause user workstations have different binary
> path
> compared to the cluster ?

Do you mean, the e.g. /tmp is different, or where do you see problems? SGE have
different paths for the binaries of different platforms already.

> Finally cluster access . we want to permit user access but restrict it to see
>
> the status of jobs and/or let modify few things  .

The users are only allowed to submit jobs. You can grant some users to be
operators.

>   We dont want people to start interactive job sessions ?

Remove INTERACTIVE form qtype in the queue definition.

CU - Reuti