[GE users] Cells, Queues , Complexes and access

Rayson Ho raysonho at eseenet.com
Fri Apr 29 13:56:05 BST 2005

>Should I setup different cells for integrating user ws?
>If yes how do I do it ?

Each Cell is a seperate SGE cluster... the advantage of multiple cells is
that you can share the binaries but have different configurations for each
CELL.

However, jobs queued in a cell can't be run by a different cell, unless you
define transfer queues to do load balancing

> Can I use one sge master 'cause user workstations have different
> binary path compared to the cluster ?

The qmaster doesn't care much about the binary path on the execution
hosts.

> Finally cluster access . we want to permit user access but restrict
> it to see the status of jobs and/or let modify few things.

How about submit only hosts??

Without defining hosts as "admin host", users won't be able to modify
cluster configuration, even if they login as root.

>  We dont want people to start interactive job sessions ?

Easy, un setuid root for the rsh/rlogin in $SGE_ROOT/utilbin/<arch>/

Rayson