[GE users] free N1 GE??

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Thu Dec 1 09:41:29 GMT 2005

Hi

> Just go to:
> http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp
>
> Check the check box for "Provisioning Software", and click Get
> Download.
>
> The only catch is that the version is N1 GE 6.0 update4, we may
> need to wait for a few days (DanT said mid-dec) to get update 7.

Yesterday evening I searched the media and checked what the press writes
about Sun's announcement. As I expected Sun's announcement was usually
reduced to "Sun is giving away software for free".

One important part of Sun's decision to give away the "Solaris Enterprise
System" for free is that it comes with no support. Patches only will be
available for contract customers. So you can see this as an unlimited eval
with full entitlement to use the software in development *and* production
without any restrictions. We still need to figure out when updates to the
software (like a N1GE 6.0 Update X) will be made available freely.

Getting a support contract still requires to purchase a licence - there are
no changes to the price list right now. There are also no announcements that
the license costs will become part of the support contract costs, i.e. Sun
is not introducing a 'lease' model for the software covered by the Solaris
Enterprise System.

If you look at the full announcement you see that it talks about open
sourcing all of the software. Looking at Grid Engine many parts are in the
open source, while others (ARCo, Windows, GEMM) are not. There is no
decision yet if and when these parts of Grid Engine will be open sourced.

In principle we even could abandon the courtesy binary download on the open
source site if the download from Sun offers an equivalent alternative for
the open osurce community to get the binaries. No decision how we best
process has been made yet however.

Having said all this, I can announce that SGE 6.0u7 is on its way. We plan
to put the open source courtesy binaries by end of next week on
gridengine.sunsource.net. Another announcement I can make is that around the
January/February time frame we plan to add courtesy binaries for the Intel
IA64 architecture (Linux) to the list of our supported OS'es (right now
Shannon Davidson provided the courtesy binaries for IA64 on our
Document&Files download section).

Regards,
Andy

PS: if someone asked me what I personally think about open sourcing the
closed source parts of Grid Engine I'd say it would make a lot of sense.