[GE users] qrsh, openssh & hanging jobs

Kirk Patton kpatton at transmeta.com
Tue Dec 6 16:21:38 GMT 2005

Currently, we are using Solaris 8.  I am testing Solaris 9 and trying to
get it ready for rollout.  In speaking with Sun, there is a backport of
the fixes needed from Solaris 10.  But, at the moment I am running into
circular patch incompatibilites.

I was suprised that I was not able to locate any chatter in the mail
lists about the problem...  I have not been able to reproduce the hang
outside of SGE/qrsh jobs.  Straight 'ssh command' works without incident.

Solaris 10 is still pretty new.  I would expect that there are a few
sites running Solaris8/9 + SSH + SGE.  I wonder why there has not been
more dicussion about this issue.  Perhaps I am not using the correct
search terms.

Kirk

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 05:14:21PM +0100, Daniel Templeton wrote:
> Kirk,
>
> Are you running Solaris 9?  If so, the answer appears to be either to
> upgrade to Solaris 10 or to borrow the sshd from Solaris 10.
>
> Daniel
>
> Kirk Patton wrote On 12/06/05 17:01,:
>
> >My interactive jobs are hanging when they are submitted using qrsh. I have my
> >cluster configured to use openssh.  Sun support tells me this is an Openssh
> >issue.
> >
> >I have not been able to reproduce the hang when using ssh outside of sge.  I
> >am wondering if this is a common issue when using SGE and openssh, and how
> >other are dealing with the problem.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Kirk
> >

> --
> *        Daniel Templeton   UMPK18 x83749         *
> *       Staff Engineer, Sun N1 Grid Engine        *
> *   An "intellectual" is a man who takes more     *
> * words than he needs to say more than he knows.  *
> *                       -Dwight D. Eisenhower     *

Kirk Patton
Unix Administrator
Transmeta Inc.
Tel. 408 919-3055