[GE users] when a queue is full

Andreas Haas Andreas.Haas at Sun.COM
Thu Dec 8 11:28:28 GMT 2005

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Peiran Song wrote:

> Hi Ron,
>
> >1) for the job execution time difference, can you use top,
> >vmstat, and/or iostat to find out what is going on in the
> >system? Are any of the SGE daemons running consuming the
> >processor?
> >

> vmstat is not available at our system. iostat doesn't show any status
> difference. top, the only difference I saw, when comparing the outputs
> from two simultaneous jobs submitted by dsh versus tow jobs scheduled
> through the scheduler, is the VSIZE. Two jobs submitted through dsh,
> which executes much faster, are each consuming 50M less virtual memory.
> That doesn't seem big enough to be the matter, does it?

Possibly. Question is where the difference comes from. For further
investigation you could

- compare dynamic library dependencies of your app when run
  through Grid Engine vs. dsh using

   # otool -L application

- run you app with truss (I believe it's named "ktrace" on MacOS)
  and compare system calls issued when your app is run through
  Grid Engine vs. dsh

Regards,
Andreas