[GE users] Memory reservation

Michael Green mishagreen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 13:43:00 GMT 2005

Sorry about another basic question:

How should I setup GE, so that users with high memory requirements
will be able to request X megabytes of free physical memory (RAM) for
their jobs and receive it?

Situation:

Exec node with 4 CPUs and 2G RAM (+4G swap) runs 4 jobs
1. Matlab - 300M
2. Matlab - 400M
3. Matlab - 200M
4. Matlab - 300M
---------------------
Total:      1200M

Now comes user and qsub's a job for which 1800M need to be reserved
prior to its execution.

What resource the user must request? h_vmem? free_mem? Should I change
exec host configuration to make sucj requests possible?

I've read all of the Admin  and User Guides and I still fill very
confused. For example,
in the User Guide on page 64 there is an example of resource request:
qsub -l arch=solaris64,h_vmem=750M,permas=1 permas.sh
does this h_vmem request takes into account current memory usage
pattern on the execution host(s)? Or is this simply reuqest to find a
host with at least 'that much' memory installed?
--
Warm regards,
Michael Green