[GE users] Problem with Complexes and disabling queues

Richard Hobbs richard.hobbs at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Wed Dec 14 16:22:00 GMT 2005

Hello,

We have various queues configured on various hosts. Each host has a complex
setup as a consumable resource, named "mem_slot". The value of "mem_slot" is
4. Basically, we have many queues on each machine, but only 4 CPUs, and this
consumable is therefore designed to stop too many jobs running on one host.

Each queue (using 'qconf -mq queuename') then has a value for "mem_slot",
which is 1.

Also, each submitted job uses "-l mem_slot=1" to requests one mem_slot.

This works fine.

However, if I disable a queue with a running job in order to stop more jobs
being submitted to this queue, it releases the mem_slot, and 5th job will
enter the machine even if the previous jobs are all still running.

It's almost as if disabling a queue releases the resources even though the
job is still active and running.

This seems like a bug...

Can anyone confirm having seen this? Is there a fix? Is there a workaround?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Richard.

--
Richard Hobbs (Systems Administrator)
Toshiba Research Europe Ltd. - Speech Technology Group
Normal Email: richard.hobbs at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Mobile Email: mobile at mongeese.co.uk
Tel: +44 1223 376964        Mobile: +44 7811 803377

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by MCI's Internet Managed Scanning Services - powered by MessageLabs. For further information visit http://www.mci.com