[GE users] Scheduling Questions

Raymond Chan raychan at ucdavis.edu
Thu Dec 15 17:02:50 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I know this has been asked before in some way or another, and I'm sorry if
this is a repeat.  I'm not sure where to begin because as I look through the
list there are things that may or may not apply, so I'll be more direct and
just ask.  Thanks to anyone in advance who can help, and again I apologize
if this was answered recently:

I have a total of 6 dual cpu nodes that I am submitting parallel mpich & pvm
jobs (qsub -pe 6) as well as regular non-parallel jobs to.   As you know,
some jobs take longer than others to complete, so if job #1 is a job that
will take 5 hours to complete, and job #2 will take only 5 minutes, is there
a way to automatically in SGE make certain jobs jump in queue over jobs that
are running a long time so these smaller jobs can finish (sort of in a round
robin sort of way where each job maybe gets a certain amount of time before
switching)?  More clearly, a large job #1 holds up the queue and everyone
behind it is stuck, so what's the best approach at solving this sort of
scheduling problem?

I'm trying to run a department website at a university where professors will
be able to submit SGE jobs via the web for bioinformatics apps that can take
a long time.  It'd be nice if I had a good way of allowing each professor to
get a fair share of the cluster instead of one guy holding up the whole
thing.  Would it also be possible to allow SGE to run two jobs at once on
the queue rather than one (or would this not be a good or possible
approach)?

Thanks again to anyone who can offer advice w/ these newbie questions.  I've
currently just been able to do jobs one at a time nicely on my web system
with everyone waiting behind that one job to finish, but I need a nice
scheduling method, and I have no idea how to configure this in SGE.

-Ray