[GE users] A "do not disturb" flag for low prio jobs?

Thu Dec 22 08:21:42 GMT 2005

Stefan.O.Nordlander at astrazeneca.com wrote On 12/21/05 15:54,:

>Hey,
>
>I was just asked if there is a way to make SGE aware that a job is currently
>in a "sensitive" state and shouldn't be suspended. Lets say you have 56
>normal priority queues and they're all full. Then a job with higher priority
>comes along and ends up on node 050. However, the original job on node 050
>just sent away a web request to a database/whatever and if that process gets
>interrupted the job will fail once resumed.
>
>Is there a way to solve this? The chance of it happening is remote, but
>still, it's there and we'd like to prevent it if possible. A "Do Not
>Disturb" flag that could be set prior to sending the database request and
>then released when it's done would be an alternative I guess. But is it
>possible?

Hi,

you could disable all queues on that host via 'qmod -d" and enable them
later after the critical area is left. All jobs with continue to run,
which are in
disabled queues but no new ones wil be dispatched on that host.

Stephan