[GE users] The "Olesen Method" flexlm works great!!

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Wed Dec 28 15:14:12 GMT 2005

Hello,

The problems with license handling using consumables etc. is pretty
well covered in the wiki here:

http://wiki.gridengine.info/wiki/index.php/Olesen-FLEXlm-
Integration#Problems_With_The_Load_Sensor_Approach

The main issues boil down to inaccurate accounting and race
conditions, primarily for people who have license server(s) that are
feeding license entitlements to non-cluster workstations and users.
The standard load sensor approach can run into accuracy difficulties
when non-cluster entities check out licenses.  The Olesen method is
great in this situation because it cleanly and rapidly will directly
adjust the value of the internal SGE consumables to reflect the
current real world status of available license entitlements.

If you have a license server that is used only by your SGE cluster,
you don't need the "Olesen" method at all. Simple consumable
resources will work perfectly.

-Chris