[GE users] SGE6.0u3 global consumable resource - applies to all queues

Walt Minkel wminkel at latticesemi.com
Tue Feb 1 23:26:48 GMT 2005

Hi All,

I am trying to use global consumable resources to manage a variety of
licenses using
SGE6.0u3.  I'm not seeing the behavior I expect...  As soon as I modify
the global execution
 host consumable form in qmon, every queue in my  grid is forced to find
that resource
available before a job is run.  In some cases  I only have  two
licenses.  Defining a global
resource for these two licenses, limits the total  number of jobs
capable of running at one
time to two for the entire grid.

My complex looks like this:
#name               shortcut          type        relop requestable
consumable default  urgenc
lic_bv_us           licA_us         INT         <=         NO
 YES           1         0

I am using the following to execute my script:

qsub  -l  run_licA=1 myScript.csh                 run_licA is a complex
I use to direct where the job can

   run.

Queuing more than  two jobs (total for all queues), the pending jobs
show this message:

        (-l run_licA)  cannot run globally because for default request
it offers only gc:licA_us=0.0000

Maybe I'm missing something, or my approach is wrong.  Any suggestions
would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
  Walt