[GE users] SGE6.0u3 global consumable resource - applies to all queues

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Feb 2 00:40:41 GMT 2005

Hi there,

what you observe is the correct behavior of SGE. The complex "licA_us" isn't
requestable, and so it is attached to all jobs you submit to SGE. You have two
in total, so you can only run two jobs in the whole cluster of all type of
jobs. Where is the connection between "licA_us" and "run_licA" for now?

If I understand you in the right way, you want one the one hand a limit global
which is two, and specify at the same time the nodes, on which this type of job
may run at all.

You can achieve this when you make the complex requestable, then the user can
request it for this type of job. But with the current setup of a second complex
"run_licA", you would have to request both resourcesto get the desired
behavior.

1. way)

It's easier, when you disregard "run_licA" completely, and attach the "licA_us"
also to the nodes on which the jobs may run, set to the number of CPUs in this
machines. The request of the job has to fulfill both restrictions.

2. way)

Make one cluster queue for this type of job and setup a hostgroup with the
eligible machines. For this queue set "licA_us" to the number of CPUs, and in
all other queues set it to 0. Also here, no "run_licA" is needed.

In both cases, the user has to specify only the request of the resource
"licA_us".

Cheers - Reuti