[GE users] SGE6.0u3 global consumable resource - applies to all queues

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Feb 2 11:13:10 GMT 2005

Walt,

so I got one point wrong: I thought "run_licA" are the machines, on which it
could run. So you are looking for some kind of resource-staging. Although this
is not directly implemented, in some way it could be simulated by setting up
two cluster-queues and give an order by setting a sequence number. But first:
how will you track the usage of the world wide license? Do you have a central
machine for this somewhere around?

Quoting Walt Minkel <wminkel at latticesemi.com>:

> Hi Reuti,
>
> Thank you for deepening my understanding of the global consumables.
>
> Your description of what I am trying to do is correct.  To fine tune my
> need,
> I should add:   In addition to licenses being consumed for different
> tools, in one
> tool's case, we have world wide WAN licenses as well as site licenses.
>  My goal was
> to use queue sequencing to look first at the site license.  For example,
> A user could queue
> in to "run_licA" without needing to specify a the consumable license
> "licA_us".
>
> Suggestions are welcome but based on your comments, I think I will look for
> any available license (site+WAN)  and have my execution script sort out
> which
> to use.
>
>      -Walt
>
> Reuti wrote:
>
> >Hi there,
> >
> >what you observe is the correct behavior of SGE. The complex "licA_us" isn't
>
> >requestable, and so it is attached to all jobs you submit to SGE. You have
> two
> >in total, so you can only run two jobs in the whole cluster of all type of
>
> >jobs. Where is the connection between "licA_us" and "run_licA" for now?
> >
> >If I understand you in the right way, you want one the one hand a limit
> global
> >which is two, and specify at the same time the nodes, on which this type of
> job
> >may run at all.
> >
> >You can achieve this when you make the complex requestable, then the user
> can
> >request it for this type of job. But with the current setup of a second
> complex
> >"run_licA", you would have to request both resourcesto get the desired
> >behavior.
> >
> >1. way)
> >
> >It's easier, when you disregard "run_licA" completely, and attach the
> "licA_us"
> >also to the nodes on which the jobs may run, set to the number of CPUs in
> this
> >machines. The request of the job has to fulfill both restrictions.

Here I have to correct myself: for nodes, not eligible for this type of job, it
must also by defined and set to 0.

Cheers - Reuti