[GE users] BDB spooling with NFSv4

Craig Tierney ctierney at hpti.com
Thu Feb 3 17:31:28 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 09:36, Roland Dittel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've run a simple test with bdb spooling on a NFSv4 share and it seems
> to be working. The qmaster started up, I've submitted some jobs and it
> was possible to start the qmaster on another host after changing the
> hostname in act_master.
>
> The qmaster switching only works on hosts of the same architecture.
> Starting the qmaster on another architecture as the host on which the db
> was result in the error message:
> 02/03/2005 17:29:59|qmaster|host1|E|couldn't open database environment
> for server "local spooling", directory
> "/net/nfsserver/nfsv4export/default/spool/spooldb": (-30978)
> DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
>
> Regards,
> Roland

Thanks for the providing the results of the test.  Can
you provide details on the NFSv4 client and server platform?

You cannot move BDB databases between architectures unless
you are really lucky.  We use BDB as apart of our cluster
management system, but we can't have one instance control
multiple architectures because of this.

Craig