[GE users] BDB spooling with NFSv4

Andy Schwierskott andy.schwierskott at sun.com
Thu Feb 3 17:52:02 GMT 2005

Craig,

> On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 09:36, Roland Dittel wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've run a simple test with bdb spooling on a NFSv4 share and it seems
>> to be working. The qmaster started up, I've submitted some jobs and it
>> was possible to start the qmaster on another host after changing the
>> hostname in act_master.
>>
>> The qmaster switching only works on hosts of the same architecture.
>> Starting the qmaster on another architecture as the host on which the db
>> was result in the error message:
>> 02/03/2005 17:29:59|qmaster|host1|E|couldn't open database environment
>> for server "local spooling", directory
>> "/net/nfsserver/nfsv4export/default/spool/spooldb": (-30978)
>> DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
>>
>> Regards,
>> Roland
>>

> Thanks for the providing the results of the test.  Can
> you provide details on the NFSv4 client and server platform?

All machines run a Solaris 10 build one build version prior to the one which
is no available from Sun.

The NFS server is a Sun W2100z (Opteron).

The NFS clients where a Sun v40z (Opteron) and a Sun Blade 1500 (Sparc).

> You cannot move BDB databases between architectures unless
> you are really lucky.  We use BDB as apart of our cluster
> management system, but we can't have one instance control
> multiple architectures because of this.

I assume the database could be converted - anyone is having more info about
it?

Andy