[GE users] failed searching requested shell sge6 u3 drmaa

Ron Chen ron_chen_123 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 13:56:08 GMT 2005

--- Fred L Youhanaie <fly at anydata.co.uk> wrote:
> I can't remember seeing anything about shell behavior in the drmaa spec.

DRMAA by default turns on: "-p 0", "-b yes", "-shell no", "-w e"
(ref: http://gridengine.sunsource.net/servlets/ReadMsg?msgId=24106&listName=users)

>From qsub manpage:

-shell y[es]|n[o]
          -shell  n  causes  qsub  to  execute  the   commandline
          directly,  as  if by exec(2).

This can explain why his job script is directly executed.

 -Ron

> Cheers
> f.
>
> Ralf Sigmund wrote:
> > Hi,
> > first I want to apologize for accidently mixing up results of different
> > experiments.
> > I executed 2 different scripts sleeper.sh and simple.sh. The issue I
> > noticed is not related to the script-name.
> >
> > Let me sumarize:
> > If I submit a simple shell script using qsub, than it is executed normally.
> > If I submit the same script using  drmaa i get an error message:
> >
> > Shepherd error:
> > 02/04/2005 09:09:49 [500:9559]: execvp(/home/sigmund/sleeper.sh,
> > "/home/sigmund/sleeper.sh") failed: Permission denied
> >
> > I can fix this by making sleeper.sh executable. However there is no need
> > to set the script's executable bit before submission of a script to qsub.
> >
> > The above line shows, that SGE tries to execute /home/sigmund/sleeper.sh
> > I wonder why it does not try to execute /bin/sh with the String argument
> > "/home/sigmund/sleeper.sh"
> > -- so should not SGE make the call:
> >
> > execvp(/bin/sh, "/home/sigmund/sleeper.sh")
> >
> > instead of what it obviously does when the drmaa api is used?
> >

> > Cheers Ralf
> >

> > Fred L Youhanaie wrote:
> >

> >> Hi Ralf,
> >>
> >> Your program is submitting simple.sh

> >> but the shepherd is trying to run sleeper.sh!

> >> Have you recompiled your program?
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> f.

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!