[GE users] Other documentation for Grid Engine 6 ques setup

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Fri Feb 4 16:29:37 GMT 2005

Quoting "Marconnet, James E Mr /Computer Sciences Corporation"
<james.marconnet at smdc.army.mil>:

<snip>
> The explanation (2) how to find/access things like: "sched-conf(5)" led me
> to typing in "man sched-conf" where I had been typing in the full "man
> sched-conf(5)". Very confusing why they put the (5) on the end when man
> cannot find anything that way. And I did not see any (5) within the
> manpage.

The (5) specifies the section inside the manual pages - just a convention. For
some pages with the same name are pages in different sections available. If
there is just one entry, the section can be disregared. You could also get the
page with:

man 5 sched_conf

But you wouldn't find anything about sched_conf in the other sections. The
sections are e.g. listed here:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/debian/chapter/book/ch04_02.html#CH04-PGFID-4829
63

<snip>
> The link (3) to IBM tutorials is nice. I read thru them all and had no idea
> which tutorial would be helpful to me, specifically for nice. I bookmarked
> it for later study.

IIRC it was explained in one of the LPI 101 documents, I apologize if I mixed
it up with some other tutorials I had in mind. Anyway: using a nice value 0 to
19 is the suitable range for user processes. Below zero is reserved for system
tasks.

Cheers - Reuti