[GE users] Processors as consumable resources

Desany, Brian bdesany at 454.com
Fri Feb 4 17:54:56 GMT 2005

Hi,

I'm using SGE 5.3p4 on linux. My machines have 4 processors each. Some
jobs take up 3 out of the four processors, and so I want to configure
the processors as a consumable resource (or whatever works).

For testing, I'm submitting jobs to a queue that is specific for one of
the hosts. Since the queue has 4 slots, I tried submitting a job with -l
slots=3 but I found that isn't allowed.

So I made this change to the host complex:
num_proc         p          INT    4               <=    YES
YES         1

Submitting 2 jobs with -l num_proc=3 resulted in both of them running. I
was expecting the first one to run and the second one to wait until the
first one finished.

(Setting Processors=4 for the queue itself seems to not have any
effect.)

Am I missing a step, or am I approaching this in the wrong way?

Thanks-
-Brian.

LEGAL NOTICE:
Unless expressly stated otherwise, this message is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure or copying of the contents or any action taken (or not taken) in reliance on it is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you are not an addressee, please inform the sender immediately.