[GE users] Long delay when submitting large jobs

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Feb 7 09:18:17 GMT 2005

Quoting Rayson Ho <raysonho at eseenet.com>:

<snip>
> The other advantage is that people don't need to configure the startproc,
> stop_proc and other details for the tight MPI PE, and also whatever is
> supported by mpiexec, we will get it for free!! (eg. LAM, MPICH, MPICH2,
> EMP, etc)

you mean because it's just mentioned on the mpiexec page (version 0.77)?

- the LAM/MPI patch is a little bit out of date and for 6.5.8 (current 7.1.1 -
is it still working?).

- MPICH2 has it's own mpiexec (which has just this name, and not the function
of the PBS tight-integration program). A new name would be better chosen for
this tight-mpiexec. And: you can compile MPICH2 startup in more than one way.
I'm not sure, whether all are supported, as the supplied version is for a beta
version of MPICH2 only.

But please keep the start_proc_args/stop_proc_args anyway, as we need special
directories to be created on the slave nodes. Maybe it's personal taste, but I
would still prefer setting up all the daemons for LAM/MPICH2 in
start_proc_args, and the end-user can just use mpirun/mpich2-mpiexec, since all
is already setup.

CU - Reuti