[GE users] Optimal queue configuration?

Boone J. Severson severson at cray.com
Mon Feb 7 17:54:07 GMT 2005

Hello,

I'm looking for some feedback on queue structure for our 37 dual Opteron
grid. We currently have an interactive and a batch queue on each
machine, each queue having 3 slots.

The problem we've been running into is that while all of the people who
can qsub their jobs mostly are (a good thing in my book), there's a few
"heavyweight" interactive applications that use X GUIs. These GUIs are
not processor intensive when you're just viewing results or configuring
a run script, but once you instruct the tool to do its thing it might
use 100% of a single processor for an hour to 3 days.

Users of these tools complain (rightly?) that when they launch the
application they're expecting to get a processor but because they might
not become processor intensive for some period of time, a new batch job
or 2 will be assigned to that machine causing them to share.

Are SGE users using machines configured like ours, or do you tend to put
1 queue per machine, dedicating some machines to interactive and some to
batch? I've got it in my head that the ideal solution involves creating
interactive queues labeled lightweight and heavyweight, and batch queues
labeled short-running and long-running. Heavyweight or short-running
jobs would get the highest priority, so only 1 heavyweight or short-run
queue would exist on a group of machines, but a lightweight interactive
and a long-running batch queue would exist per machine on the other
sub-group. My only hesitation with this formula is that everyone would
label their batch job as short-running and their interactive jobs as
heavyweight, thus defeating the entire purpose. Or, even worse, bringing
up a heavyweight interactive application and minimizing it for days on end.

I'd love to hear about grid configurations that have worked well at
other sites.

Thanks!
Boone