[GE users] libdrmaa probs on Red Hat & SGE6u3

Tim Harsch harsch1 at llnl.gov
Wed Feb 9 19:56:37 GMT 2005

Hi all,
    I get a problem with the drmaa lib on
$ uname -a
Linux xxxx.llnl.gov 2.4.9-e.49enterprise #1 SMP Fri Aug 6 11:32:58 EDT 2004
i686 unknown

The short of the problem is that jobs are successfully run via qsub, but
when I try to run a drmaa_init I get back:
unable to contact qmaster using port 555 on host "bio-e-dev.llnl.gov"

There are a few places the problem could be:
* first I chose a non-std port for sge_qmaster in /etc/services because 535
was reserved in there for something else
* also, I am using my Schedule::DRMAAc module as a wrapper to libdrmaa (
this is my first compile on Linux with SGE6 ).  I developed Schedule::DRMAAc
using SGE sources when 6.0 was beta, and didn't get and opportunity to try a
lot of platforms at the time.   However, Schedule::DRMAAc is just a SWIG
binding to the C library and given that I get an error message like above
tells me the problem is not likely a bug with my code, but perhaps my
installation or a bug in drmaa or something else?

What's the easiest way to test the drmaa library?

- Tim Harsch