[GE users] semaphore leftovers

David Farrell d-farrell2 at northwestern.edu
Wed Feb 9 22:10:05 GMT 2005

I am running into the issue where semaphores build up and create a
situation in which uses can no longer start jobs, and on occasion, jobs
die prematurely. The errors point to the semaphore issue and cleaning
it manually has become a bother, as users wish to use the machine for
testing(so abnormal exits are common). Is there any good solution to
this problem? I have heard that making a cleanup script into a cron job
sometimes results in jobs being killed, so I would be interested in
other possibilities. In addition, I sometimes see a situation in which
running the cleanipcs script as root does not clean out some of the
semaphores. Is there any solution?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

David E. Farrell