[GE users] semaphore leftovers

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Thu Feb 10 14:38:43 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 18:38 -0600, David Farrell wrote:

> > But instead of a cron job, the cleanipcs could be put in the
> > stop_proc_args or
> > queue_epilog.
> Yes this is MPICH, I will give this bit a try. The issue here is that
> the users tend to use ctrl-C sorts to kill a job when running in
> interactive mode,
David,
    there is a simple solution to this.
It involves cutting off the left thumb and fourth finger of offending
users.

Seriously though, putting some sort of cleanipcs script in the stop_proc
is a good idea.
I looked at this briefly myself.
As I recall, the problem I found was that you can deal with the shared
memory segments. Either you can parse the output of ipcs -m
or grep /proc/sysvipc/shm
and delete the relevant segments.

The problem I found was the semaphore queues, which you can't associate
with a particular process ID.